- August 2017 – Tara is awarded a J.Cura Scholar Award by the University of Victoria.
- August 2017 – Our paper on the Grand Challenges Water Quality project was published in Biosensors. mdpi.com
- August 2017 – Tara and Meghan receive travel awards to attend the Till and McCulloch meeting based on their submitted abstracts. stemcellnetwork
July 2017 – Our Scientific Reports paper is now available online. This work was featured in several newsletters.
- July 2017 – Dr. Willerth’s book “Engineering neural tissue using stem cells” is published by Academic Press.
- July 2017 – Willerth lab alumni – Dr. Nima Khadem Motaram – starts his new position as faculty at the University of Waterloo.
- July 2017 – Our manuscript is accepted by the journal Electrospinning.
- June 2017 – Meghan’s paper is accepted to Scientific Reports.
- May 2017- Dr. Willerth takes over as President of the Canadian Biomaterials Society at the Annual Canadian Biomaterials Society Meeting in Winnipeg. Laura wins a travel award as a result of her abstract and Michaela wins a poster award at the meeting. The University of Victoria will host next year’s Annual Meeting of the Canadian Biomaterials Society.
- May 2017 – Dr. Willerth gives an invited presentation at the BC Regenerative Medicine Research Symposium. Her students Laura and Michaela present their work and Laura wins 4th place in the poster contest. Dr, Willerth serves on the steering committee of the BC Regenerative Medicine Initiative – read about it here - http://bcregmed.ca/.
- May 2017 – Dr. Willerth gives an invited presentation at the International Research Roundtable “Printing the Future of Therapeutics in 3D” at the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies. Read more about this event here - http://3d-bioprinting.ca/.
- April 2017 – Dr. Willerth is awarded a 5 year Discovery Grant from NSERC.
- March 2017 – Dr. Willerth gives an invited seminar at the University of British Columbia’s Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences.
April 2017 – Dr. Willerth is featured in hEr VOLUTION 150 Days of Canadian Women in STEM
- January 2017 – Dr. Willerth is featured on as part of the Women in Biomedical Research series on the Ontario Chair for Women in Science and Engineering’s website. scieng-women-ontario.ca/en/meet-stephanie-willerth
- January 2017 – Dr. Willerth is named the Acting Director of Centre for Biomedical Research at the University of Victoria.
- January 2017 – Work by John Edgar and Meghan Robinson is accepted for publication at Acta Biomaterialia.
- November 2016 – Dr. Willerth’s invited review is published in Current Opinion on Chemical Engineering.
- November 2016 – Dr. Willerth presents her work at Purdue University as part of the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering Distinguished Lecture series
- October 2016 – Dr. Willerth’s commentary on the lab’s recent Stem Cell Reviews and Reports is published in Neural Regeneration Research.
- October 2016 – Our collaboration with Aspect Biosystems using 3D printing to produce neural tissue has been funded by the Stem Cell Network. The Willerth lab is excited to join the Stem Cell Network and we are open to hosting students through its exchange programs.
- October 2016 – Dr. Willerth gives an invited talk on functionalized transcription factors at the 5th International Conference on Stem Cell Engineering
- September 2016 – Dr. Willerth is on sabbatical at the University of Wisconsin-Madison being hosted by BIONATES in the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery. She gave invited talks as part of their Biomedical Engineering Seminar Series and the Stem Cell Lab meeting series.
- June 2016 – We now have a twitter account – www.twitter.com/DrWillerth
- June 2016- Dr. Willerth gives an invited keynote at CAD2016 in Vancouver.
- June 2016- Dr. Willerth is elected to the position of President-Elect for the Canadian Biomaterials Society. Also Victoria, BC is chosen as the site for the 2018 Canadian Biomaterials Society Annual Meeting.
- June 2016 – Congratulations to John Edgar on winning APEGBC’s Gold Medal in Biomedical Engineering! The Willerth lab would also like to congratulate all of the inaugural class of graduates in our undergraduate program in Biomedical Engineering. Dr. Willerth served as the founding coordinator of this program – the first of its kind in Western Canada.
- May 2016 – The Willerth lab attends the World Biomaterials Congress in Montreal. Dr. Willerth gives a featured talk in the Emerging Topics in Biomaterials Science – sponsored by the journal Biomaterials. Andrew Agbay, John Edgar, Meghan Hall, and Meghan Robinson also present their work.
- May 2016 – The Willerth lab has papers accepted to Cells Tissues Organs and Frontiers for Kids.
- April 2016- The Willerth lab is awarded an NSERC grant in collaboration with Aspect Biosystems.
- April 2016- Dr. Willerth receives the ICORD International Travel Award.
- April 2016- Dr. Willerth gives an invited talk at Northwestern University’s Biomedical Engineering seminar series.
- April 2016 – Our recent collaboration with iProgen was published in Stem Cell Reviews and Reports. pubmed